Mãe Amor Birth Services
NOTICE: My family has relocated to Racine, Wisonsin, and I am no longer serving the southeast Iowa area. Please contact me if you would like a list of local doulas.
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Birth doula services are available to families in Burlington, Mount Pleasant, Fort Madison, Iowa City, and the surrounding area. The current fee is $500 and includes a minimum of 3 prenatal visits (1-1/2 to 3 hours each), continuous presence and support during labor, birth, and the immediate postpartum period, and a postpartum follow-up visit. Doula fees are an eligible Healthcare FSA/HSA expense. Payment plans and/or reduced fees are available.
The initial consultation is always free; let's get together and discuss how I might be able to serve you during your baby's birth.
You need Flash Player in order to view this.
The Essential Ingredient: Doula
DONA International is extremely pleased to present our new documentary about birth and postpartum doulas: The Essential Ingredient: DoulaAttendees at the 16th Annual Conference in Albuquerque, NM ...